Wednesday, July 20, 2016

NUTSPallas 55K - The Magical Lapland - Another Ultra Digest

Hello everyone! みなさんこんにちは! Hola todos!
It's been a while. After a long time of period something to talk about! Good things have come and gone this year certaintly. Not just about runnin'. They approved me to Firefighters Academy. School starts on 8th of August, so things going change drastically. Maybe more about that later, but now lets unwrap my trip to NUTSPallas. Once again it was time let the Samba Trail Running Club taskforce on a mission. We took a flight from Helsinki-Vantaa Airport to Oulu city at first sight on Wednesday morning. From Oulu we had a rental car to Hetta (distance 400km or so). It' was wise decision to travel Lapland early on. So that we had plenty of time to relax and enjoy other pleasures that Lapland provides.
Samba Trail Running Club

In a small weddings, in a small wildreness cottage, a bit fuddled.
We arrived to our cottage in Lapland, Hetta around 6 pm. It was a long travelday, despite we flew majority of  trip. After arriving and small pause, we hit a small and quiant weddings. Congratulations, prosperity and all the happinnes to Mika & Tea.
Smoked fish. New acquaintance to me, Harjus / grayling <3

On Thursday we headed to Jyppyrä fell. Yet mostly just hiking, just to get good feelin' and clear our mind.
After spending a while on top of the Jyppyrä we had dinner at local restaurant called "Silja". I ate the famous local burger called "gurbbaburger" it's a reindeer burger, tasted like heaven. i definately recommend it to all  you who wanders around Hetta district.

On top of the Jyppyrä fell.
After this we went back to our cottage to relax and our 134km runners started to pack their bags and prepare themselves to upcoming race. Race started at 6 pm on Friday from Ylläs.We drove to Ylläs to give cheers to all the runners who started the 134km journey. Also before that we claimed our race numbers.

Finnishline for both 55km and 134km runners at Hetta.

                                                  Start of the 134km race. Good vibes!

"Primo" Simo seemed pumped!
Mika tying his shoelaces. Strong perfomance he finished 5th!

Asta giving a hellos to everyone! :)
After this we headed back to Hetta, to our cottage. Two hour drive per direction. At the cottage i started to pack my runnin' vest, eat some food, chillout and to have good conversations. Atmosphere was relaxed and mellow. After a late supper we decided to take a walk with Tuomas. Felt super. It was magical midnight. Lapland is surely a place what everyone should experience, so wellcome to Finland! Summer at its best.
Midnight Lapland, simply beautiful.
Big guys feelin emotional! Uh! <3
After getting back to our cottage, we head to Sauna naturally. Also some night snack before sleep. I slept a bit under 7 hours or so, which isnt quite that what im used to, but that should cover it. It was nice to wake up every morning to pre-maid breakfast and fresh coffee (Im the guy who always woke up last). In the morning i felt strong and solid. Everything seemed to be in place. Felt fresh, i had been eating well past several days and overall the feelin' was good amongst us. After eating we hit the bus, which drove us to Pallas, where the 55km race started. It started to rain in the morning and wind seemed to getting stronger hour by hour. But we didnt let the weather discourage us. We had 30 to 40 minutes spare time before the start. At this point it started to drizzly furiously and wind also got stronger. The race organizers demanded everybody to suit up their jackets, which was only and right decision. Few good songs before the race and good to go!
All set,  Go!

Race profile was 55km and 1600m of ascent. It was my first time at NutsPallas and i have run only 600 km or so this year so my goal was to just make solid run and finish. First 4km of the race was just climbing to highest of point of the race, Pallas Fell (807masl).
Pallas Fell at the beginning ©Nuts Trail Running
I started slowly and steady. I spent roughly 40 minutes climbing to peak. My legs was in a shock after the first ascent, but right after i got my running going legs felt strong and it was easy to run downhills and flatpoints. As a reminder, the wind blew around 20m/s at the peak. Kinda crazy you know.
After 10km of running or so at the first valley i took my jacket off. It didnt wind or rain in the valleys, which was kind a relief.

I kept nice pace all the way till 24.6km maintenance point. Few kilometres before the stop my right legs back thigh almost cramped. The muscle was tense and numb because the cold weather and lack of hill training. And i wore shorts during the whole race. Wisely i slowdown the pace till i hit the pitstop in time of 3 hours and 20 minutes. From my first ultra at Koli last fall, i learned that long pauses didnt fit for me, so this time i was wiser and spent only 6 minutes at the maintenance point. And without traffic i could have done it in much less. I filled up my flasks and hydration bag. Grabbed couple of handful salted chips, chocolate and ate a banana.
Some thoughts after 24.6km maintenance. Just talked about how my thigh was tense. And it was easy to breath, because i havent done running so much this year, but other than that i felt super good!

After the energy from food started to kick in i felt strong untill after 5 hours of running. 35 km behind at this point of the race. Water started to poor again after a long break. At this point i put my jacket back on. Also i noticed that i was a bit tiredsome and felt a bit cold. It took 3 minutes to put jacket back on, so that sums it up ^^

Last valley and in front of me there was last major ascent to Pyhäkero Peak. It was pretty similar to Pallas ascent. Harshly 4km of climbing. Minute by minute my legs started to get tired and felt a bit exhausted, but nothing to alarm about. Runners passed me from left and right. It was wise to save resources i got left. I wasnt only one who started to slowdown. I passed several 134km distance runners. You really could see the difference. They were so slow at this point, cant blame! All the respect to them. (49.5% DNF of all 134km competitors). So i basically i walked along up to the Pyhäkero Peak which seemed unreachable. I started to shiver a bit and cos of that i tried to run for no good. I had to settledown for walking. Fortunately at halfway to Pyhäkero i had company from nowhere. A man somewhere in early 50. He was my saviour. He had right kind of spirit and took me under his wings so to speak. Fatherly company was more than welcomed. We were like tin soldiers. All my limbs was frozen and i barely could move my arms back and forth.  Here's a clip from ©Arto Väkiparta. On top of the Pyhäkero Peak. I have never encounterd this bad weather in any race.
It took me around 40 minutes to conquer the peak. It felt like eternity. It sure was my darkest hour. After short time of descending somehow i gain some power willness and i started to run. And man it felt good. I was nothing but the pure joy! So called tin soldier was history. Last 15km i ran all the way to finishline. After descending from Pyhäkero top, route changed into dirtroad and last 3 kilometers was pavement road. At the end i sprinted and passed few runners'. Last steams out and i was totally out of gas at the finishline!

Happy runner! Time 7:27:39. Rank 109 / 400 ~
This time more pictures and photos. This time no injuries, if you dont count one manly dive onto rocks! ^^. Long story! I want to give thanks to Samba Trail Runners, without them this journey wouldnt have been the same. And big thanks for all the support i got from friends and people who cheered. And you my foreign blog readers and all those finnish people who likes to read in english as well. Thank you so much.
ありがとうございました。 Let see what i do next, perhaps cancellation ticker for  86km or 130km in Koli on October. Untill next time. Take care of youselves. Here's a link to official race video of NUTSPallas.

NUTSPallas 55K - The Magical Lapland - Another Ultra Digest - Finnish Version

Hiljaiselon jälkeen pitkästä aikaa kirjoittamisen arvoista asiaa. Hyviä asoita on tapahtunut paljon tämän vuoden aikana. Eikä pelkästään juoksun saralla. Pääsin Kuopion Pelastusopistoon. Koulu alkaa 8.8, joten elämä tulee muuttumaan radikaalisti. Mutta ei tästä tämän enempää. Pureudutaan nyt NUTS Pallas 55km polkujuoksukisaan. Lähdettiin jälleen Samban Trail Running Club iskuryhmällä liikenteeseen. Lento 13.7 keskiviikkona Helsinki-Vantaalta klo. 07:30 Ouluun. Ja siitä vuokra-autolla loppumatka. Oli todella hyvä lähteä ajoissa matkaan, että ehtii rauhoittua ja nauttia myös Lapin muista antimista.
Samba Trail Running Club

Pienissä häissä, pienessä erätuvassa, pienessä.
Keskiviikko alkuillasta perillä. Pitkä päivä, vaikka suurinosa matkasta tuli lennettyä. Mökillä hetken rauhotuttua käytiin myös hääjuhlissa. Ihan parhautta. Onnea Mikalle ja Tealle.
Savustettua kalaa. Harjus uusi ihastuksen kohteeni! <3

Torstaina sitten käytiin jo jalottelemassa Jyppyrävaaralla. Pientä fiilistelyä. Lähinnä kävelyä. Sai paikat auki ja mielen kirkkaaksi.
Lönköttelyn jälkeen paikalliseen ravintola Siljaan syömään kuuluisaa "Gurbbaburgeria", eli poroburgeria. Suosittelen kaikille, jotka eksytte Hettaan. Tästä takaisin mökille rauhoittumaan.

On top of the Jyppyrä fell.
Illalla mökillä 134km matkaajat jo alkoivat pakkaamaan tavaroitaan. 134km lähtö oli klo. 18.00 Ylläkseltä, jonne lähdimme kannustamaan ja katsomaan starttia. Perjantai keskipäivä ja haimme ensin kisanumerot.

Kisanumeroiden haku ja fiilistelyä. Maali.

Sitten olikin 134km ultraajien lähdön paikka. Saateltiin Simo, Laura, Asta, Mika, Mikael ja muut ultraajat matkaan.

"Primo" Simolla fiilis kohillaan.
Mika ja viimehetken nauhojenkiristelyt.

Astalla näytti olevan myös fiilis kohillaan! :)
Tästä sitten takaisin Hettaan, mökille. Vajaat 2 tuntia ajoa suuntaan. Mökillä omien kisavarusteiden välppäystä ja syömistä. Fiilis oli rento, kiitos hyvän seurueen. Päätettiin Keisterin kanssa vielä lähteä alkuyöstä fiilistelemään ja aukaisemaan paikkoja.
Keskiyön Lappi. Yksinkertaisesti kaunista.
Pitkät miehet herkistelemässä keskiyön Lappia. Uh!
Tästä sitten vielä saunaan, yöpalaa ja valmiina kisaan. Yöllä sain nukuttua vajaat 7 tuntia, mikä on hieman vähemmän mihin olen tottunut, mutta sen oli riitettävä. Joka aamu mökissä oli ilo herätä kahvin porinaan ja valmiiseen aamupalapöytään. Kisa-aamuna fiilis oli tosi jees. Tankkaus, unet ja oma sekä kavereiden fiilis oli todella rento ja iloinen. Aamupalaa ja kahvia. Tästä sitten lähdettiin bussilla klo. 10 aamusta kohti Pallasta, missä lähtö tapahtui. Edellisen vuorokauden täydellinen ilma alkoi pikkuhiljaa muuttumaan pahemmaksi. Vettä alkoi ropisemaan ja tuuli alkoi yltymään, mutta emme antaneet sen häiritä. Saavuimme Pallakselle n. 30-40min ennen lähtöä. Vettä tuli jo huolella ja tuuli jatkoi yltymistään. Kisajärjestäjät vaativat kaikille takit päälle lähdössä, mikä myöhemmin osoittautui todella aiheelliseksi! Vikat fiilistelybiisit nappikuulokkeista ja sitten luonnon armoille ja lähtöön!
All set,  Go!

Edessä oli siis 55km ja 1600m verticalin verran juoksuiloa tässä ihanan raikkaassa ilmassa.
Ensimmäinen kerta Pallaksella ja vain 600 km tänä vuonna juostuja kilometrejä, joten tavoite oli saada tasavahvasuoritus ja päästä maaliin. Kisan ekat 4km oli pelkkää nousua kohti Pallaksen huippua (807m).
Lähdön nousu kohti Pallaksen huippua. ©Nuts Trail Running
Lähdin maltilla liikenteeseen. Kulutin reilut 40min tuohon ensimmäiseen nousuun. Jalat säikähti alkua, mutta kun pääsi Pallakselta lasettaa loivaan alamäkeen, alkoi kroppakin lämpenee ja heräämään matkantekoon.
Matkanteko tuntui helpolta ja kivalta. Pallaksen huipun myrskystä, jossa muuten tuuli n. 20m/s. Päästyäni pois ensimmäiseen kuruun n. 10km kohdalla otin takin pois, sillä kuruissa ja laaksoissa ei satannut vettä eikä juuri tuullutkaan. Joten lämmin tuli hyvin nopeasti.

Matka meni todella kivasti melkein ensimmäiselle huoltopisteelle (24.6km). Pari kilometriä ennen huoltoa oikea takareisi yritti iskeä itseään kramppiin. Lihas oli todella kireä ja hieman kylmettynyt. Juoksin koko kisan shortseissa. Onneksi maltoin mennä maltilla ja odottaa huoltoa. Saavuin huoltoon n. 3 tunnin ja 20 minuutin tienoilla. Ensimmäisesti ultrastani, jonka juoksin Kolilla viime vuonna, opin, että pitkät huoltotauot eivät sovi minulle. Virheistäni oppineena käytin n. 6min jälkeenpäin katsottuna huoltoon. Tuon nopeammin ei selvinnyt, sillä osuin melkoiseeen ruuhkaan. Nopea rakon ja juomapullojen täydentäminen. Pari kourallista sipsiä, banaani ja vähäsen suklaata. Kelin puolestakin varmasti oli parempi, ettei jäänyt liian kauaksi ihmettelemään. Videolla vähän tuntemuksia lähdettyäni matkaan 24.6km huollosta.

Kun huollossa nautitut annit alkoivat imeytymään kroppaan matka maistui lähes yhtä hyvin kuin ensimmäiset 25km. 1 tunti 30 min myöhemmin matkaa oli taittunut 5 tuntia ja olin pyhäkeron edeltävän kurun pohjilla. Vettä alkoi taas satamaan ja tuuli alkoi kanssa tuntumaan nahoissa, joten oli hyvä laittaa takki tässä vaiheessa takaisin päälle. Tässä vaiheessa huomasin, että olin ehkä hieman paleltunut, kun välppäsin takkia juoksuliivistä päälleni 3 minuuttia, ottamatta askeltakaan eteenpäin.

Edessä oli viimeinen iso nousu Pyhäkerolle, taas lähes 4km yhtä tunkkaamista. Pikkuhiljaa etureidet alkoivat väsymään, syynä varmasti vähäiset kilometrit ja olemattomat ylämäkiharjoittelut. En lannistunut, vaikka juoksijoita tuli ohi vasemmalta ja oikeelta tasaisen väliajoin. Vastaan alkoi tulla paljon 134km matkaajia. Heidät kyllä erotti, vaikka olikin sumuista. Tsemppasin jokaista ultraajaa kenet ohitin. He tekivät kyllä mahdottomalta olevan työn. (49.5% kaikista 134km ultraajista keskeytti). Pitkälti yksin tunkkasin kohti Pyhäkeron huippua, jonka tavoittelu tuntui ikuisuudelta. Heikon tunkkausvauhdin takia alkoi tulemaan kylmä, teki mieli juosta loivat ylämäet, mutta aika mollivoittoiseksi jäi eteneminen. Onneksi n. puolessa välissä nousua vanhempi herrasmies tuli juuri oikealla asenteella ja vauhdilla kohdilleni. Hän jutteli niitä näitä ja piti ns. spirittiä yllä. Siinä isällisessä seurassa oli hyvä olla peesissä. Kolmaskin kaveri roikkui siinä, ja menimme kohti huippua kuin tinasotilaat konsanaan. Liikkuvuus raajoissa oli melko kankeaa. Seuraavassa pieni pintapuraisu, minkälainen vesi(jää)tuiske rinteessä vallitsi. Videon kuvannu ©Arto Väkiparta.
Pitkät 40 minuuttia ja Pyhäkeron huippu oli saavutettu. Synkimmät hetket olivat varmasti takana. Pitkä laskettelu huipulta alkoi ja rakka-kivikko muuttui leveäksi poluksi jota pääsi tykittämään ihan hyvällä vauhdilla. Pystyyn kuollut tinasotilas oli historiaa ja oli taas kiva juosta. Viimeiset 15km tulin hyvin juosten maaliin asti. Reitin viimeiset 10 km juostiin hiekkatiellä, josta vikat 3km maaliin autotietä pitkin. Kunnon loppukiri loppuun vielä, niin saatiin vikatkin höyryt irti koneesta.

Onnellinen jolkottelija maalissa. Aika 7:27:39. Rank 109 / 400 ~
Tällä kertaa kuvia ja videoita enemmän. Mielestäni niistä pääsee paremmin tunnelmaan. Ja aika väsynyt vielä. Paikat pysyivät tällä kertaa ehjänä. Jos yhtä pientä syöksymistä kivikkoon ei lasketa. Pitkä tarina jo nyt, joten kiitos kaikille Sambalaisille, ystävilleni ja teille bloginseuraajat. Katsotaan mitä sitä keksii seuraavaksi. Ehkä peruutuspaikkaa Kolin ultraan ? 86km, 130km ? :) Ensi kertaa ja hyvää kesänjatkoa. Linkki vielä viralliseen NUTSPallas videoon, jos jostain syystä et ole katsonut vielä!

No comments:

Post a Comment